Video Poker Strategy
Payout percentages at the video poker machines can get very high…especially if gamblers use a little bit of strategy a lot of the time. Far too often, though, the opposite is true (in which gambler’s use a lot of strategy just a little bit of the time). The key to winning at video poker over the long run is consistency. True, luck is a big part of any gambling game, especially when drawing cards to form a poker hand. However, if video poker is played according to a tested strategy card, you will win more often over the long run. The mathematical odds speak for themselves, which is really the only thing you can rely on when gambling.
Knowing at all times what poker hand has the greatest odds of being drawn, based on what you have already been dealt, is the basis of a video poker strategy. Thus, you should always be asking yourself which cards to hold and which to discard. (There are several varieties of video poker, with Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Jokers Wild being the most popular…the strategy tips below are for playing Deuces Wild, which is very similar to Jokers Wild).
- Never discard 2’s (These are wild, meaning they can be anything you want them to be – The gambling software automatically gives them their best possible value).
- Never discard a Pair.
- Always hold onto three or more cards that have potential of becoming a Royal Flush. For example, three suited face cards, or, a 10 suited with three face cards.
- Always hold onto three or more cards that have potential of becoming a Straight Flush. For example, a suited 2,3,5,7or a suited 7,10,J.
- Always hold onto at least four cards that have potential of becoming a Flush. For example, a suited 3,8,K,Ace.
- Always hold onto at least four cards that have potential of becoming a Straight. For example, a 5,7,8,9.
- Always hold onto at least two suited face cards (including 10’s).